Saturday 2 January 2016

2016 and counting down....

First Day Back after Christmas
2nd January 2016

Today was my first day back at work in 2016.

 It struck me that I only have three months left in the best job I have ever had - working at Silverdale Library. I have been here for over nine years now and I love it. I have grown to know all my customers like family and I am going to be so gutted when 31st March arrives and I have to leave. I am being made redundant to make way for Silverdale to become "Community Managed and Staffed" by volunteers.
So, I thought I'll take a photo every day I am in work until then dreaded day - to remind me of all my customers. my library and the great times I've had working there. It is a privilege and a pleasure - as you will see...


Julia Donaldson and hubby Malcolm at Silverdale.
So, why am I leaving? Not through choice! The council (like many others) has decided to hand some of its branch libraries over to the community and have them staffed by volunteers. So, Silverdale will be managed by the council (as no-one has yet come forward to offer to run the library) but staffed by volunteers. I don't know if they have found any yet - but until April I am the sole member of staff here. I've been single-staffed for a couple of years now - with support from staff at the local hub at Newcastle to cover when I have lunch - or days off.

As well as a picture a day I will have a blast from the past too - so today is a photo from when Julia Donaldson - the children's author and then Children's Laureate came to Silverdale Library to entertain the children from the local primary school back in October 2012. It was a very exciting day - with the press and TV companies coming too. For the full story - check here: http://pokerlibrarian.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/vips-at-library.html





No comments:

Post a Comment